First Time Visitors
- Before you Arrive: Before your first visit, we highly recommend you complete the online waiver prior to coming to the crag to expedite the orientation process (this will also ensure you have adequate time to review the waiver in detail and ask any questions you may have). If you forget or are unable to complete the waiver prior to your visit, you will be able to complete the waiver when you arrive at the crag at one of our several computer waiver stations (please allow adequate time to read and review the document in detail – a preview of the document is AVAILABLE FOR DOWNLOAD as well).
- Your First Visit to the Crag: All first time guests will be given an orientation that introduces you to our facility and will familiarize you with our climbing features, route setting, fitness areas, and rules. Once completed, you will earn your first “Crag Badge” — the orientation badge. Please allow approximately up to 20 minutes to complete this orientation.
- The Belay Test: Those guests with previous climbing experience wishing to either use the auto belays, top rope belay, or lead climb/belay will be required to complete a review of their skills by our staff (aka “the belay test”). There are three different crag badges you can earn that demonstrate your level of proficiency. To earn your badge, you must be able to demonstrate successfully the following skills:
- The Auto Belay Badge: How to properly put on your harness, what you need to inspect on your harness, Auto Belay clip in (proper tie in to belay loop on harness), dangers of solo climbing, and use and knowledge of Auto Belay gates.
- The Top Rope Badge: How to tie into the rope using a “Figure 8 Follow Through Knot” (including proper tie in point on harness), how to inspect your knot and harness, verbal commands, belay device proper use (rigging), and demonstrated proper belay technique including taking slack, catching a falling climber (simulated), and lowering a climber.
- The Lead Climb Badge: To pass a lead climbing test, you must be able to top rope 5.10 and lead climb 5.8. When climbing you must demonstrate proper clipping technique and be able to describe improper clipping practices (z-clipping, back clipping). Climbers should be able to describe and identify back-stepping. When belaying, you will demonstrate quickly letting out and taking in slack, how to catch a fall, and proper position to the wall.
First Time Climbers
If you are new to the sport or it has been a while and you need a refresher before jumping right in, we have several options for you.
- For those individuals who want to learn to climb so that you may participate on your own, we recommend you enroll in our introduction to climbing course, “The Crag Experience”. This is a 2 hour course that teaches the fundamentals of climbing movement, how to properly tie in to a rope and belay a climber on top rope, and the proper use and inspection of climbing equipment. After completing this course, you will be given a 14-day trial membership (rental equipment not included) which allows you to come and climb on your own. On your first visit after completing the course you will be required to first take our belay test which certifies you to belay others on top rope.
- For those that just wish to sample climbing without committing to a full class, we offer our “Get On Belay” package. This package gives you entry to the facility for one full day, facility orientation (including Auto Belay use), rental gear (harness and shoes), and provides a staff member to belay you for up to three top rope climbs of your choice (maximum of 30 minutes following completion of the Crag Orientation). If you haven’t had enough climbing after these three climbs, you may purchase additional ÜG Crag Guided belays in 30 minute blocks ($20 for each 30 minute block). After completing your guided climbs, guests may continue to climb on their own using our Auto Belays or bouldering facilities (children must be supervised by an adult). If you fall in love with climbing, on your next visit you may wish to enroll in the “Crag Experience” course. Please allow for a minimum of 1 hour for the Get on Belay package (including check in, orientation, and guided climbs). Advanced reservations recommended though we will always attempt to accommodate you if our staffing and facility crowds will allow. To book your Get On Belay experience, call us at 720-592-0716. The Get On Belay package is $50 for an adult (18+) and $42 for a child.
A Note on Youth Participation
- All guests under 18 years old must have a waiver completed and signed by their PARENT OR LEGAL GUARDIAN. There are absolutely no substitutions allowed for the parent or legal guardian.
- All crag guests under the age of 13 years old must be either DIRECTLY supervised by an individual that is 15 years or older and has completed a facility orientation and has a signed waiver OR enrolled and participating in a staff supervised activity. Those parents that wish to bring their children under 13 years old to the crag without providing supervision will need to enroll them in one of our numerous youth programs including camps, clubs, after school programs, and climbing teams. Kids 13 years old and older may take our learn to climb classes to learn learn proper use of climbing equipment used at the crag as well as how to belay and climb on top rope. Once a child has completed this course and passed our belay certification, they can climb and belay others at the crag without adult supervision.
- All children under 18 belaying MUST USE AN ASSISTED BELAY DEVICE such as an Edelrid Jul, Mammut Smart, or Petzl GriGri.
- All children under 18 using Auto-Belays must be Auto-Belay certified AND must complete a buddy check with another Auto-Belay Certified person prior to starting each climb using verbal belay commands (“on belay?”, “belays on, climb on”).
- Children must be 13 years or older to be belay and Auto-Belay Certified. Children younger than 13 years old may only be belay or auto-belay certified with approval from an Übergrippen Youth Team Coach (usually requires past or current team experience) AND after successfully demonstrating proper belay / auto-belay technique on 3 consecutive visits to the crag (on different days). No child 10 and under is permitted to belay without a certified backup belayer.