It makes us SO happy to say that we are now open again! Seriously, right now!!!! We’ve missed you all and can’t wait to reestablish the community we’ve grown to love. As you know, things won’t look quite the same as they did before COVID. We are opening in full compliance of state, local, and scientific guidelines. Please read this entire message so you know what our “new normal” will look like.
Übergrippen is NOW OPEN TO ALL GUESTS (Members, Punch Pass, and Day Pass Guests).
Interested in a a membership? We are now offering our summer membership special (discounted prepaid memberships and FREE gear rental included) for 2 and 3 month summer membership options!
New facility waiver
Our old waiver was getting…well, old, and it’s time for a new one! Before you climb with us again, you’ll need to fill out a new waiver. We recommend doing this ahead of time so you can maximize the time spent with us!
New reservation system
The most important thing we can do to mitigate the spread of COVID-19 is to limit our facility’s capacity at any given time. Initially, we will be limiting our capacity to 60. This is 15% of our maximum capacity, and will allow everyone more than enough room to spread out. In order to make this happen, you’ll need to sign up for a specific time to climb.
A new time block will start every 20 minutes. You may check in up to 5 minutes before and up to 20 minutes after your time block starts. We are asking that everyone limit their session to two hours so that people are coming at the same rate they’re going. You will also be required to check out before leaving.
Please don’t sign up for tons of spots, particularly during peak hours. We are not currently limiting how many sessions each member can book, but if others can’t sign up because time blocks are always full, we will have to set some sort of limit. We strongly encourage anyone who can climb outside of peak times (4PM-8PM) to do so. Also note that before we closed, we only exceeded 60 people in the building between 4PM and 8PM! If you want a guaranteed spot, or you’re looking to avoid crowds, signing up for off-peak times is the best way to do so.
Yoga & fitness classes
We will be hosting yoga and fitness classes again! We won’t have as many as we used to but we’re hoping to build back up. It’s vital that you sign up for classes ahead of time. A class booking is separate from a regular climbing booking. If you’re only interested in taking a class, there’s no need to make a climbing reservation as well!
Also, we’ll be hosting as many classes as possible outside, or in the yoga room with the door open. Please plan accordingly. We also will not be renting mats at this time.
New community guidelines
What makes Übergrippen so unique is how tight-knit and caring of a community we have. That spirit is as important as ever, as we all need to work together to prevent the spread of COVID-19. We thank all of you who filled out our reopening survey, and have taken all your voices into consideration.
Here’s what we’ll do to protect you
- Limiting our facility capacity. This helps reduce everyone’s exposure, allows for better social distancing, and enables more accurate contact tracing.
- Maintaining quality air ventilation at all times. As we did before, we will keep our massive garage doors open as much as possible. When it’s too hot to have the doors open, we still get excellent ventilation! We use an evaporative cooling system, which we chose in order to reduce the environmental impacts of maintaining those “send temps”. The other great thing about this system is that it works by actively pulling in fresh air from outside.
- Providing opportunities for climbers to clean their hands. We will be installing a new hand-washing station near our front entrance so everyone can start their session with clean hands! We will also provide extra hand sanitizer stations throughout the crag.
- Spending extra time cleaning. You can expect to see our staff constantly cleaning frequently touched surfaces and shared equipment.
- Laying out guidelines for social distancing. We’ve used orange tape to mark various “zones” throughout the crag, so it’ll be easy to look around and see how you can space yourself away from others. Initially, we are recommending only six people per zone.
Here’s what we’re asking you to do to protect each other
- Wear a mask that covers your nose and mouth at all times. Droplet transmission is the main mechanism through which the virus spreads, so please keep your droplets to yourself! At this time, it is also required by city law. We don’t have masks for sale at this time.
- Wash your hands as soon as you enter the building. We’ll be installing a hand-washing station near our front entrance to facilitate this in the very near future, until then you may use the restrooms.
- Stay home if you’re feeling symptoms or have possibly come into contact with someone infected with COVID-19.
- Make every effort to socially distance yourself. Please follow the six-foot rule (or as we like to call it, the 5’12” rule) as much as you can. We also encourage finding monogamous belay partner relationships at this time.
- Sanitize Often! We are placing hand sanitizer stations throughout the crag, please use these before and after each climb.
Have more questions…
Thank you all so much for staying with us through these hard times. We can’t wait to have you back. The well-being of our community remains our first priority. That’s never changed and it never will. Please let us know how your visit was before you leave (and don’t forget to check out!) Things will be different than they were before, but with a little adjustment, we’ll all be able to enjoy the crag again. See you soon!
-The ÜG Family