THE POLICIES BELOW ARE APPLICABLE FOR YOUTH 17 AND UNDER
All guests under 18 years old must have a waiver completed and signed by their PARENT OR LEGAL GUARDIAN. There are absolutely no substitutions allowed for the parent or legal guardian.
All crag guests under the age of 13 years old must be either DIRECTLY supervised by an individual that is 15 years or older and has completed a facility orientation and has a signed waiver, meet our Unaccompanied Children Policy (below), OR be enrolled and participating in a staff supervised activity. Those parents that wish to bring their children under 13 years old (that do not meet requirements below) to the crag without providing supervision will need to enroll them in one of our numerous youth programs including Crag Akademie, climbing teams, clubs, camps, after school programs, and Friday Night Kids Climbs (“Parents Night Out”). Kids 13 years old and older may take our learn to climb classes to learn learn proper use of climbing equipment used at the crag as well as how to belay and climb on top rope.
- All children 12 and under must be supervised by someone that is at least 15 years of age at all times.
- Supervision requires being with direct visual and verbal contact at all times.
- Exception: Children that are 11 & 12 years old that have completed both Top Rope and Auto-Belay Certifications (see below) may come in without an adult present to climb/boulder. Children 10 & under may NEVER visit the crag without being directly supervised by someone 15 & over.
- All children (accompanied and unaccompanied) are required to adhere to the policies and rules of the crag. Unaccompanied youth visits to the crag is a privilege that may be revoked at any time at ÜG’s discretion.
TOP ROPE BELAYING
- All youth 17 & under MUST use an assisted braking belay device at ÜG. Acceptable assistive belay devices include Petzl GriGris, Edelrid Jul, Black Diamond Pilot, Mammut Smart, Trango Cinch and Vergo, and Wild Country Revo.
- Children 12 & under wishing to become belay certified must pass 3 consecutive belay tests. They must complete their tests on three separate days. Until the third test is passed, the belayer will only receive a provisional belay pass for the day and must still be backed up by a belay certified person (parent, teammate, coach) or use an an auto belay backup. If one test is failed or revoked the climber must start the test process over. All belay tests must be taken at the time of entrance to the facility…before climbing.
- Children that are 11 & 12 years old do not require a back-up belay after passing the final (third) belay certification test.
- Children 10 and under must have a back-up belay AT ALL TIMES by a belay certified teammate, coach or parent. Non-belay certified adults (15 and over) may be given a specific back-up belay orientation to be approved as a back-up belayer. Auto-Belays may serve as a back-up as well.
- Any child that is seen using improper belaying practices may have their belay privileges revoked (at ÜG staff discretion) until they can successfully complete the belay certification process again.
LEAD CLIMBING & LEAD BELAYING
- Children must typically be 13 or older to be lead belay certified.
- Children must be Top Rope Certified prior to being lead climb or lead belay certified.
- Children 12 & under must pass the lead climb test and/or lead belay test on 3 separate occasions to be lead belay/climb certified.
- All belayers that are 10 & under ALWAYS require a backup belayer (including lead belay).
- Lead Climbing & Belaying is a privilege, not a right. ÜG staff has discretion to grant and revoke lead climbing privileges as they see fit at anytime.
- All youth 17 & under MUST have a “buddy” that perform safety checks of harnesses, proper clip in, and use Belay Commands (“on belay”, “belay on, climb on”) prior to every climb. This “buddy” must also be auto-belay certified; they are there to double check that the climber is clipped in correctly, and may assist in holding the auto-belay tether (if necessary).
- The initial Auto-Belay orientation does not serve as a certification for children 17 & under. The Auto-Belay Test may not be taken on the same day as the child receives their Auto-Belay orientation; they must pass ONE separate Auto-Belay certification test administered by a ÜG staff.
- Climbers 12 & under using the Auto-Belays must be supervised at all times by someone 15 and over that is Auto-Belay certified.
- Climbers that are 11 & 12 that have passed BOTH Top Rope and Auto-Belay Certification tests may use the Auto-Belays with another Auto-Belay certified child (a “buddy”) that is 11 years old or older. This “buddy” must perform the safety checks of the climber prior to each climb.