|Climbing is an activity that offers many life benefits including mind, body, spirit, and community. Before joining us at Übergrippen to climb, take part in a fitness class, attend a party or event, participate in a climbing program or other crag activity, or just hang out with your friends and family, we want to make you aware of the dangers associated with the activities offered at our crag. We require all our members, participants, observers, and facility guests to review and sign our “Release of Liability and Assumption of Risk Agreement“. Even those not climbing need to be aware of the risks within the facility including potential falling objects that may create a hazard to you. If you forget or are unable to complete the waiver prior to your visit, you will be able to complete the waiver when you arrive at the crag at one of our several computer waiver stations (please allow adequate time to read and review the document in detail – a preview of the document is AVAILABLE FOR DOWNLOAD as well).
A Note on Youth Participation
- All guests under 18 years old must have a waiver completed and signed by their PARENT OR LEGAL GUARDIAN. There are absolutely no substitutions allowed for the parent or legal guardian.
- All crag guests under the age of 13 years old must be either DIRECTLY supervised by an individual that is 15 years or older and has completed a facility orientation and has a signed waiver OR enrolled and participating in a staff supervised activity. Those parents that wish to bring their children under 13 years old to the crag without providing supervision will need to enroll them in one of our numerous youth programs (below) including camps, clubs, after school programs, and climbing teams. Kids 13 years old and older may take our learn to climb classes to learn learn proper use of climbing equipment used at the crag as well as how to belay and climb on top rope. Once a child has completed this course and passed our belay certification, they can climb and belay others at the crag without adult supervision.
- All children under 18 belaying MUST USE AN ASSISTED BELAY DEVICE such as an Edelrid Jul, Mammut Smart, or Petzl GriGri.
- All children under 18 using Auto-Belays must be Auto-Belay certified AND must complete a buddy check with another Auto-Belay Certified person prior to starting each climb using verbal belay commands (“on belay?”, “belays on, climb on”).
- Children must be 13 years or older to be belay and Auto-Belay Certified. Children younger than 13 years old may only be belay or auto-belay certified with approval from an Übergrippen Youth Team Coach (usually requires past or current team experience) AND after successfully demonstrating proper belay / auto-belay technique on 3 consecutive visits to the crag (on different days).